Mexican baked eggs with tomatoes and lentils
(at time of publication)
- spray oil
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 teaspoons Mexican spice mix
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 390g can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups roughly chopped spinach
- 4 size 6 eggs
- fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish
- freshly ground black pepper, to garnish
- Tabasco or other hot sauce, to serve (optional)
- 2 slices toasted wholegrain bread (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray an ovenproof pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add spring onions, garlic and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add spice mix and cook a further 1 minute. Add cherry tomatoes and lentils. Stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a spoon, make four holes in tomato mixture. Carefully crack one egg into each hole. Place pan into the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until eggs are cooked.
- Serve eggs garnished with coriander, black pepper and hot sauce, if using, with bread on side.
Make it gluten free: Check Mexican spice mix and hot sauce are gluten free and use gluten-free bread.
This recipe is from our Vegetarian weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meat-free meals for two, for under $67. Just grab the shopping list and get dinner done!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 13g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information