Mexican baked eggs with tomatoes and lentils
- oil spray
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 2 teaspoons Mexican spice mix
- 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 390g can lentils, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups roughly chopped spinach
- 4 size 6 eggs
- fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish
- freshly ground black pepper, to garnish
- Tabasco or other hot sauce, to serve (optional)
- 2 slices toasted wholegrain bread (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spray an ovenproof pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add spring onions, garlic and capsicum and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- Add spice mix and cook a further 1 minute. Add cherry tomatoes and lentils. Stir to combine, and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Using a spoon, make four holes in tomato mixture. Carefully crack one egg into each hole. Place pan into the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until eggs are cooked.
- Serve eggs garnished with coriander, black pepper and hot sauce, if using, with bread on side.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 15g
Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 13g
Make it gluten free: Check Mexican spice mix and hot sauce are gluten free and use gluten-free bread.
This recipe is from our Vegetarian weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meat-free meals for two, for under $67. Just grab the shopping list and get dinner done!
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us