Spinach, caramelised onion and lentil shakshuka
- 1 bunch broccolini, trimmed, stems halved lengthways
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, chopped
- 1 bunch spinach, washed, chopped
- 400g can no-added-salt lentils, rinsed, drained
- 4 eggs
- ¹⁄³ cup frozen peas
- 100g reduced-fat Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 fresh long green chilli, sliced
- fresh mint leaves, to serve
1 Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 7–8 minutes. Remove from pan.
2 Meanwhile, cook broccolini in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes, or until just tender. Drain. Refresh under cold water.
3 Reheat the same frying pan over a medium heat. Cook the garlic, the cumin, coriander and the ginger, stirring, for 1 minute. Add courgettes and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes, or until courgettes are just tender. Add the spinach, lentils, the broccolini and ¹⁄³ cup water. Sauté for 2–3 minutes, or until heated and the spinach wilts.
4 Remove pan from heat. Using the back of a spoon, make four indentations in the vegetable mixture. Gently crack 1 egg into each indentation. Scatter over peas. Cook, partially covered, for 6–8 minutes, or until egg whites have set but yolks are still soft.
5 Meanwhile, combine yoghurt and lemon juice in a small bowl. Season with pepper. Serve the shakashuka drizzled with yoghurt mixture. Scatter with caramelised onion, chilli and mint.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11.2g
–Saturated fat 2.3g
Dietary fibre 11.8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information