Middle Eastern meatloaf
Time to make: 1 hr
( Hands-on time: 20 mins )
(at time of publication)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- oil spray
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 tablespoon bulgar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon harissa spice mix
- 1 carrot, grated and squeezed of excess moisture
- 1 courgette, grated and squeezed of excess moisture
- 2/3 cup oil-free store-bought roasted capsicum, drained and diced, to garnish
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, to garnish
- 1/2 cup baba ganoush dip, to serve (we used Lisa’s Aubergine & Cashew with CorianderCilantroX & Lime)
- 2/3 cup bulgar, rinsed and drained
- 1 large bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
Total fat 27g
Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 13g
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 22cm pie dish with oil spray.
- In a large bowl, combine mince, bulgar, egg, onion, garlic, harissa, carrot and courgette. Press into prepared pie dish and bake for 40 minutes. Drain off the excess liquid during cooking, if needed.
- Meanwhile, to make tabbouleh, in a large bowl place bulgar and cover with water. Leave for 20 minutes to soften. Drain and squeeze excess moisture then return to bowl.
- Add parsley, mint, tomatoes, garlic and lemon zest and juice. Toss to combine.
- Serve meatloaf topped with capsicum and pine nuts, with baba ganoush and tabbouleh on the side.
Make it vegan: Use Sanitarium Vegie Delights vege mince and Orgran egg replacer. Check baba ganoush is vegan.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us