Oregano lamb with white bean hummus and flatbread
- 500g lean lamb backstrap, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons capers, roughly chopped, plus vinegar from caper jar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 4 wholemeal pita breads
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 400g can no-added-salt cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
- ¼ cup hummus
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 oakleaf/buttercrunch lettuce, leaves separated
- 1 cucumber, cut into ribbons
1 Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper. Place lamb on prepared tray. Combine capers, oregano, one tablespoon lemon juice and one tablespoon olive oil in a small bowl. Season. Spoon half the dressing over lamb. Wrap breads in foil, place on tray with lamb, then bake for 8 minutes or until cooked to your liking.
2 Meanwhile, place onion in a small bowl. Add vinegar from caper jar and set aside to pickle.
3 Using a fork, lightly mash cannellini beans in a bowl. Add hummus, lemon zest, remaining lemon juice and fresh parsley.
4 Divide warmed flatbreads among four serving plates. Top with hummus, lettuce leaves, cucumber, sliced lamb, pickled onion and remaining caper dressing. Serve immediately.
Resting cooked lamb for a few minutes before slicing it allows the juices to be reabsorbed. This results in a juicier, tastier cut of meat.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9.6g
–Saturated fat 2.9g
Dietary fibre 11.1g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.