Salmon and ginger fish cakes
(at time of publication)
- 700g new potatoes, halved
- 400g skinless salmon fillet
- 5cm piece ginger, grated
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt
- 4 tablespoons chipotle sauce
- 6 cups chopped spinach
- 2 cups watercress
- Fill a saucepan with lightly salted water and bring to the boil. Cook potatoes for 15 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor place salmon and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a large bowl and add ginger, lime zest and salt and pepper. Set to one side.
- In a non-stick pan, heat one teaspoon of oil over medium. Cook spring onions until softened and stir 3/4 into salmon mix. Set aside remaining 1/4.
- Drain potatoes and add one quarter to the fish mixture. Mash well then form 4 cakes. Keep remaining potatoes warm.
- In a non-stick pan, heat remaining oil over medium-high. Add fish cakes and cook for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden and cooked through. Cover pan and rest for a few minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine yoghurt, chipotle and lime juice. Remove cakes from the pan. Bring pan back to medium heat and add spinach and 2 tablespoons of water. Cook for 2-3 minutes until wilted.
- Serve fish cakes with spinach, remaining spring onions, watercress, potatoes and yoghurt sauce. Garnish with a lemon or lime wedge and fresh herbs if you like.
Make it gluten free: Check chipotle is gluten free.
Make it low FODMAP: Use green tips of spring onions only, and chipotle sauce without onion or garlic.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 27g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information