Spiced lamb and buckwheat salad
(at time of publication)
- 3 carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 red capsicums, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups buckwheat (see tip)
- 4 (about 500g) lean lamb leg steaks
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan seasoning
- 4 cups baby spinach, rocketarugulaX or kale
- 1 orange, grated zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place carrots in microwave, covered, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove and place in a baking dish lined with baking paper. Add capsicums and place in the oven for about 20 minutes until tender and soft.
2 Just cover buckwheat with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes until tender but not mushy.
3 Heat a heavy-based pan or barbecue grill to a medium-high heat. Spray lamb steaks with oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Rub seasoning into meat to cover. Cook steaks for about 2 minutes each side for medium-rare. Set aside to rest.
4 Combine dressing ingredients in a small jug and mix well. Remove vegetables from oven. Gently mix buckwheat, roasted vegetables, spinach and dressing together in a large bowl.
5 Slice steaks in 1cm slices. Serve salad topped with steak and drizzled with any meat juices.
- If you can’t find buckwheat, use brown rice or quinoa instead.
- Make it gluten free: Check seasonings are gluten free.
Find buckwheat in bulk bins or in the baking section of your supermarket.
If you are on the low FODMAP diet use a Moroccan spice that does not contain garlic powder and use brown rice instead of buckwheat.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 21g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us