Spiced lamb and buckwheat salad
- 3 carrots, cut in chunks
- 2 red capsicums, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ cups buckwheat (see tip)
- 4 (about 500g) lean lamb leg steaks
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan seasoning
- 4 cups baby spinach, rocketarugulaX or kale
- 1 orange, grated zest and juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place carrots in microwave, covered, and cook for 2 minutes. Remove and place in a baking dish lined with baking paper. Add capsicums and place in the oven for about 20 minutes until tender and soft.
2 Just cover buckwheat with water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover, and cook for 15 minutes until tender but not mushy.
3 Heat a heavy-based pan or barbecue grill to a medium-high heat. Spray lamb steaks with oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Rub seasoning into meat to cover. Cook steaks for about 2 minutes each side for medium-rare. Set aside to rest.
4 Combine dressing ingredients in a small jug and mix well. Remove vegetables from oven. Gently mix buckwheat, roasted vegetables, spinach and dressing together in a large bowl.
5 Slice steaks in 1cm slices. Serve salad topped with steak and drizzled with any meat juices.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 21g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 11g
- If you can’t find buckwheat, use brown rice or quinoa instead.
- Make it gluten free: Check seasonings are gluten free.
Find buckwheat in bulk bins or in the baking section of your supermarket.
If you are on the low FODMAP diet use a Moroccan spice that does not contain garlic powder and use brown rice instead of buckwheat.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us