Spicy chicken and bok choy udon noodle soup
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
1 medium brown onion, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons red curry paste
1 3/4 cups shitake mushrooms, sliced
2 x 200g chicken breast fillets, trimmed
2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock (plus 3 cups water)
180g shelf-fresh udon noodles
1 cup snow peas or beans, halved
2 bunches bok choy, trimmed, cut into 4cm lengths
lime juice, to taste, and wedges, to serve
1/4 cup fresh coriandercilantroX leaves, to garnish (optional)
Total fat 6g
Saturated fat 1g
Dietary fibre 5g
- Lightly spray a large saucepan with oil and set over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add chicken breasts, chicken stock and water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, for 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Transfer chicken to a clean board and set aside to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan of boiling water, cook the noodles according to packet instructions, or until al dente. Drain well.
- Add shredded chicken, snow peas or beans and pak choy to the soup, and simmer for 1-2 minutes, or until greens are just tender. Stir through lime juice to taste.
- Divide noodles and soup among 4 bowls. Garnish with coriander leaves and wedges on the side, if using.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free noodles. Check curry paste and stock are gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use tofu or a chicken substitute and a vegan stock such as Massel.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us