Spring broth of chicken and asparagus with basil sauce
(at time of publication)
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, skin removed and sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 handful fresh basil, shredded, plus a few extra leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 bunch asparagus, sliced
- 400g can butter beans
- 1 cup baby peas, fresh or frozen
1 Put the stock into a pan with the carrots. Cover and bring to the boil. Add the chicken, cover and simmer for 6-8 minutes, until carrots are tender and the chicken is cooked.
2 Meanwhile, put the olive oil in a bowl with the basil and lemon juice. Mix well.
3 Add the asparagus, beans and peas to the pan. Cover and bring back to the boil quickly over a high heat, then remove the lid and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Remove half the mixture and whiz in a blender, then tip back into the pan. Divide the broth among 4 bowls and top each with a spoonful of the basil sauce and extra basil leaves.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 5g
For vegetarians, omit the chicken and use an extra can of beans.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us