Fiesta chicken salad
(at time of publication)
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 30ml orange juice
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 410g can peach slices in juice
- ½ packet (100g) feta cheese, diced
- 250g tomatoes or 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, washed, halved
- ½ large ripe avocado, flesh scooped out
- ½ head lettuce, shredded or 1 packet (about 130g) salad greens
- about ¼ cup favourite nuts, shelled, chopped
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Place chicken and orange juice in a saucepan. Cover with cold water then place lid on saucepan. Cook on a high heat until the liquid bubbles, then turn heat down and simmer for 8 minutes. Allow to cool. Drain and cut chicken in strips, then place in a big bowl.
2 Wash potatoes (do not peel) and cut them in dice-sized cubes. Microwave, covered, for 5 minutes on high. Add to bowl with chicken.
3 Add peaches and peach juice, feta, tomatoes, avocado, lettuce and nuts.
4 Toss salad using 2 large spoons.
DIY salad bar
Making your own salad bar at home is fun. Set out all the ingredients on the table and let everybody put together their own salad:
- Green: lettuce leaves, spinach leaves or rocket
- Red: tomato, red capsicum
- Yellow: sliced capsicum or a can of corn kernels
- Orange: grated carrot
- Fruit: a punnet of berries in summer; in winter, a can of peach, pineapple, apple or pear slices
- Protein: a can of butter beans, sliced egg or a small bowl of diced cheese (feta, mozzarella, edam)
- Sprinkles: nuts, raisins, pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- Special occasion sprinkles: croutons, bacon, or miniature marshmallows (great with lettuce, apple, walnuts and thinly sliced celery)
- Dressing: Greek yoghurt (natural or sweetened) in a bowl, or lemon juice mixed with honey
- Raw chicken is full of bacteria. Wash your hands after you handle the meat.
- Eating undercooked chicken is dangerous. If the sliced meat is still pink inside, simmer 2 minutes longer.
- You don’t need salt in this recipe: the feta cheese is salty enough.
- Instead of potatoes, you can use cooked penne pasta. Or serve the salad with slices of multigrain bread.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 4g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.