Bacon, beetroot and lentil salad
(at time of publication)
- 6 fresh beetrootbeetsX, washed
- cooking oil spray
- 1 cup green or brown lentils
- 2 ½ cups liquid gluten-free chicken stock
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled, chopped
- 200g gluten-free bacon, grilled until crunchy
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
1 Preheat oven to 220°C. Place beetroot in a baking dish. Spray with oil. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes, or until tender.
2 In a saucepan, bring lentils and stock to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed.
3 Spray a frying pan with oil. Place over a medium heat. Cook onion, celery and garlic until clear. Add lentils. Crumble bacon and stir through. Transfer to a large bowl.
4 Peel and dice beetroot. Toss with herbs through lentils.
Allergy-friendly dinner party for six
Whether gluten-free, vegetarian, lactose intolerant or just plain picky, any one of these simple recipes will accommodate dietary requirements – while pleasing everyone’s taste buds at the same time!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 4g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us