Herby chicken and chickpeas with asparagus
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- 4 (500g) boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (thyme and oregano work well)
- zest and juice of 3 lemons
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX in spring water, drained
- 2 red capsicums, finely sliced
- 2 bunches asparagus, ends removed and cut in half (or use green beans)
- freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt
Total fat 17g
Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 15g
1 Mix the chicken with 1 tablespoon oil, herbs and half the lemon zest and juice. Leave to marinate for 10 minutes.
2 Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan on a high heat. Fry the onion, garlic, remaining lemon zest and spices for 2—3 minutes, before adding the chickpeas and capsicum. Fry for a further 3—4 minutes, tossing well. Remove from the pan and set aside.
3 using the same frying pan, add the chicken and fry for 4—5 minutes until the juices run clear and chicken turns golden-brown. Blanch the asparagus in a pot of boiling water for 1 minute, then rinse under cold water to prevent overcooking.
4 toss asparagus through chickpea mixture and season with pepper and remaining lemon juice; serve with chicken and a dollop of natural yoghurt.
Make it gluten free: Check curry powder is gluten free.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us