Moroccan lamb, tomato and sweet potato soup
Last updated date: 11 May 2022
(at time of publication)
- 2 tablespoons plain flourall purpose flourX
- 400g lean boneless lamb, cut in 2-3cm pieces
- olive spray oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon no-added-salt Moroccan seasoning (or chermoula)
- 2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt diced tomatoes
- 500g sweet potato/ kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, diced
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, rinsed, drained
- ⅓ cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley, plus extra, to garnish
- ⅓ cup reduced-fat Greek-style yoghurt, to serve
- 2 teaspoons zest of lemon, to garnish
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Place flour in a large freezer bag; add lamb and shake until coated in flour. Spray a large non-stick frying pan with olive oil and set over medium heat. Cook lamb, turning occasionally, until browned on all sides. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
2 Spray pan again with olive oil and return to heat. Add onion, garlic and seasoning; cook, scraping base of pan, for 2-3 minutes, or until onion softens. Return reserved lamb to the pan with stock, water and tomatoes. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, partially cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3 Stir in sweet potato/kumara and chickpeas. Cook for a further 35-40 minutes, or until lamb is tender. Stir through parsley. Ladle soup into 4 bowls. Serve soup with a dollop of yoghurt, and garnish with lemon zest and extra parsley leaves.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and check stock, seasoning and yoghurt are gluten free.
More delicious sweet-potato (kumara) soups:
Kumara pumpkin & chickpea soup
Kumara coconut and lentil soup
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.