Sweet potato soup with garlic
Last updated date: 27 May 2022
(at time of publication)
- 1kg orange kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut in chunks
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 bulbs garlic, trimmed
- spray oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 cups hot salt-reduced vegetable stock made with 4 cups water and 3 teaspoons salt-reduced stock powder
- 1 cup reduced-fat coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriandercilantroX or flat-leaf parsley
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place sweet potato, onion and garlic in a large roasting pan. Spray with oil, re-spraying halfway through cooking. Cook for 30 minutes or until tender.
2 Tip sweet potato and onion into a large non-stick saucepan. Squeeze garlic from 1 roasted garlic bulb and add flesh to pan. Stir in curry powder.
3 Add hot stock to pan with coconut cream. Use a blender to purée soup until smooth.
4 Return to pan, heat through and season with freshly ground black pepper.
5 Garnish with coriander and the remaining roasted garlic, peeled.
Serve with crusty bread
Make it vegan: Use a vegan stock
- Replace half the sweet potato with pumpkin for a delicious pumpkin and sweet potato soup.
- Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free varieties of stock and curry powder.
More delicious sweet-potato (kumara) soups:
This recipe uses orange sweet potato (kumara) which is the Beauregard variety.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 9g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 9g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.