Pork schnitzel with fresh apple slaw
(at time of publication)
- 600g potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 500g thin pork steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g bag prepared coleslaw mix (dressing discarded)
- 1 green apple, cored and grated
- juice of ½ lemon, plus lemon wedges, to serve
- In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook potatoes for 10-12 minutes, or until tender. Drain. On a tray, crush each potato gently with the back of a spatula or large fork.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl place flour. Place egg in another and breadcrumbs in another. Lightly coat each pork fillet in flour, followed by egg, then breadcrumbs.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil over medium. Cook pork schnitzels for 3 minutes each side until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Spray the same pan with oil. Add smashed potatoes and cook, tossing, for 3 minutes, or until golden.
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw, apple and lemon juice.
- To serve, divide coleslaw, pork schnitzels and smashed potatoes among 4 plates, with lemon wedges on the side.
Add 1/2 cup low-fat plain yoghurt for a creamy coleslaw.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and breadcrumbs.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us