Pork schnitzel with fresh apple slaw
(at time of publication)
- 600g potatoes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 500g thin pork steaks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g bag prepared coleslaw mix (dressing discarded)
- 1 green apple, cored and grated
- juice of ½ lemon, plus lemon wedges, to serve
- In a medium saucepan of boiling water, cook potatoes for 10-12 minutes, or until tender. Drain. On a tray, crush each potato gently with the back of a spatula or large fork.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow bowl place flour. Place egg in another and breadcrumbs in another. Lightly coat each pork fillet in flour, followed by egg, then breadcrumbs.
- In a large non-stick frying pan, heat olive oil over medium. Cook pork schnitzels for 3 minutes each side until golden and cooked through. Remove from pan and cover to keep warm.
- Spray the same pan with oil. Add smashed potatoes and cook, tossing, for 3 minutes, or until golden.
- In a large bowl, combine coleslaw, apple and lemon juice.
- To serve, divide coleslaw, pork schnitzels and smashed potatoes among 4 plates, with lemon wedges on the side.
Add 1/2 cup low-fat plain yoghurt for a creamy coleslaw.
Make it gluten free: Use gluten-free flour and breadcrumbs.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 11g
–Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information