- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large eggplantaubergineX, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 celery sticks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 2 medium red capsicums, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 2 medium yellow capsicums, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- 2 x 400g can cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 medium courgetteszucchini, summer squashX, cut into 1.5cm pieces
- grainy bread or cooked brown rice, to serve (optional)
1 Heat half the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the eggplant, stirring occasionally, for 3–4 minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a bowl. Add remaining oil, onion and celery to pan and cook, stirring, for 5–6 minutes, or until tender. Add the garlic and thyme and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add capsicums and cook, stirring, for 5–6 minutes, or until golden and tender.
2 Add canned tomatoes and red wine vinegar, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Add eggplant and courgettes and simmer for a further 10 minutes. Season with cracked black pepper, to taste.
Serve with brown rice or grainy bread. Add a poached egg, if you like or turn it into one of these delicious recipes:
This double quantity of ratatouille makes enough to make all three of these recipes. The homemade pizza uses half of the base ratatouille recipe, and the parmigiana and pasta recipes each use one-quarter of the ratatouille. Ratatouille can be frozen until ready to use later on.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 5.4g
–Saturated fat 0.7g
Dietary fibre 7.2g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.