(at time of publication)
- 1 cup sushi rice (I use Sunrice sushi rice Japanese-style)
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons mirin (Japanese rice wine)
- 1 tablespoon castor sugar
- 4 nori sheets
- 1-2 teaspoons wasabi (see tip), plus some for serving
- 150-200g smoked chicken, cut into thin strips (or tuna in water, drained and flaked)
- ½ cucumber, peeled, deseeded and cut into sticks
- 3 spring onions, trimmed and cut into sticks
- 1 small red capsicum, deseeded and cut into strips
- low-salt soy sauce (such as Kikkoman less salt soy sauce)
- pickled ginger
1 Pour 2 cups of water into a pan and add the rice. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer gently for 10-12 minutes, until the rice is cooked and all the water has evaporated.
2 Remove from the heat and stir in the rice vinegar, mirin and castor sugar. Leave the rice to cool. Fluff up with a fork or chopsticks.
3 Lay a sheet of nori shiny side down in the centre of a sushi mat (if you don’t have one, use a clean tea-towel). Wet your hands and then pick up a quarter of the rice and spread it across two-thirds of the nori. Flatten the rice down with your hands.
4 Make an indentation along the top end of the rice and spread with a little wasabi. Lay a quarter of your tuna or chicken and salad vegetables across the width.
5 Place your fingers over the filling to hold it in place, then using your thumbs, pick up the nori mat at the end closest to you. Roll it away from you, pressing in the filling gently as you do so.
6 Continue rolling until the filling is encased in nori, using the mat to help. Unroll the mat and repeat with the remaining nori, rice and filling to make 4 rolls in total.
7 Trim the end of each roll using a sharp wet knife. Cut each roll into 3 equal pieces. Cut each in half at an angle. Serve the sushi with soy sauce, wasabi and pickled ginger.
Wasabi is very hot and so it is a good idea to use the smaller amount (1 teaspoon) when you make these for the first time.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 1.3g
–Saturated fat 0.3g
Dietary fibre 3.2g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us