Thai turkey cakes with ginger and lemon cabbage and kumara mashReviewed by our expert panel
(at time of publication)
- 300g orange kumarasweet-potatoX, peeled, cut in chunks, or yams, chopped
- cold water
- 3 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 300g turkey mince
- ½ cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tablespoon massaman curry paste
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh coriandercilantroX leaves
- 1 egg
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons black sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon sriracha chilli sauce (optional)
- In a pot filled with cold water, place kumara. Bring to the boil and cook for 8-10 minutes, until soft and tender. Add 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil. Mash and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C. In a large bowl, combine spring onions, half the garlic and ginger, turkey, peas, carrot, curry paste, coriander and egg. Mix well, then shape mixture into six patties.
- Add 1 teaspoon sesame oil to a pan over medium-high heat. Cook patties for 2 minutes each side, until browned. Place patties on a baking dish lined with baking paper and cook for 15 minutes, until cooked through.
- While patties are cooking, add remaining sesame oil to pan (use the same pan you used to brown the patties) and add cabbage, remaining garlic, ginger and lemon zest. Toss in pan for 5-8 minutes, until cabbage is tender. Squeeze over lemon juice and soy sauce and toss to combine. Scatter over black sesame seeds.
- Serve turkey patties with kumara mash and sautéed cabbage, with sriracha on the side (if using).
You can use chicken mince instead of turkey mince.
Make it gluten free: Check curry paste and sauces are gluten free.
This recipe is from our Weeknight meal planner feature – everything you need for four nights of delicious, nutritionist-approved meals for two, for under $112. Just grab the shopping list and you’re ready!
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 24g
–Saturated fat 6g
Dietary fibre 12g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information