Turmeric chickpea fritters (made with aquafaba)
Nutrition Info.(per serve)
- spray oil
- 1 onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 x 400g cans no-added-salt chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX, drained (retain can water/aquafaba, see tips) and rinsed
- ¹/8 teaspoon each salt and black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 cups roughly chopped baby spinach
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 4 tablespoons chickpeagarbanzoX flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 6 cups mesclun
- 3 tablespoons vinaigrette (made with 1 part olive oil, 2 parts balsamic vinegar)
- low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve (optional)
- ¼ cup fresh coriandercilantroX, to garnish
Total fat 14g
Saturated fat 2g
Dietary fibre 13g
1 Spray a large cast iron frying pan with oil and set over a medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic to the pan and cook until golden and fragrant. Remove from heat and set aside.
2 In a food processor, blitz chickpeas plus 2 tablespoons of the reserved aquafaba until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Add cooked onion mix, salt, pepper, turmeric, quinoa, spinach and parsley. Stir to combine.
3 In a separate bowl, place ½ cup of the aquafaba and beat with electric beaters until it forms meringue-like soft peaks. Carefully fold through chickpea mix using a large metal spoon.
4 Sprinkle chickpea flour onto a large plate and, with wet hands, form dessert spoonfuls of mix into balls. Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand then coat evenly with chickpea flour.
5 Add oil to pan and return to a medium high heat. Cook fritters for about 3 minutes each side until golden brown. 6 Serve with a big bowl of dressed salad leaves, yoghurt, if desired, and lemon wedges. Garnish with coriander.
Make it gluten free: Check turmeric is gluten free.
Make it vegan: Use coconut yoghurt.
Aquafaba is the cooking liquid in canned chickpeas. It can be used as a replacement for egg whites in some recipes.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
Rate this recipe
0 People Rated This Recipe
- (0 / 5)
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us