Vege cashew curry
(at time of publication)
- 1 cup canned chopped tomatoes (with juice)
- 3 tablespoons cashew nuts
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 small carrot, finely sliced
- 2 white mushrooms, finely sliced
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- ½ cup cauliflower florets
- ½ cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- ¼ cup canned drained chickpeagarbanzoXsgarbanzosX
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- fresh coriandercilantroX leaves, to garnish
- ½ cup boiled brown rice, to serve
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yoghurt, to serve
1 In a bowl, soak tomatoes and cashews for 30 minutes.
2 Heat oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Add spring onion and cook for 1 minute, stirring occasionally with a wooden spatula. Add carrot, mushroom, cauliflower, peas and tomato mixture. Sir well, cover pan and bring to the boil.
3 Add chickpeas, curry powder and salt. Reduce heat and simmer for 2–5 minutes. Garnish with coriander. Serve with rice and yoghurt.
- If you don’t like spicy food, replace curry powder with 1/2 teaspoon each of turmeric, ground cumin seeds, ground coriander seeds and sweet paprika.
- Peanuts work well in this recipe, too.
- Go fancy and garnish with a sprinkle of poppy seeds or sesame seeds.
- Add chilli for a spicier flavour.
- Make it gluten free: Check curry powder (or ground spices if using) are gluten free.
- Make it vegan: Serve with soy yoghurt instead.
Ground spices are added towards the end of cooking, otherwise they’ll cook out too much and the dish will taste dull.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 20g
–Saturated fat 4g
Dietary fibre 20g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information