Roast beef dinner
(at time of publication)
- 600g boneless beef chuck roast
- 600g root vegetables ( kumarasweet-potatoX, parsnips, carrots), cut into 5cm pieces
- 2 onions, halved
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground coriandercilantroX
- Switch slow cooker to low. Layer vegetables on bottom, with the meat resting on top. Add tomatoes, stock and spices. Cover and cook for 4 hours on high, or 7 hours on low.
- Remove meat and rest, covered, on carving board. Gently transfer vegetables to serving platter and cover with tin foil to keep warm.
- Put remaining juices in a small saucepan and heat over a high heat for 5-10 minutes to reduce slightly. Blend until you have a smooth sauce.
- Cut meat and serve with vegetables and sauce.
Make it gluten free: Check stock and ground coriander are gluten free.
Some canned tomatoes contain more liquid than other brands, so if you see a lot of tomato juice, reduce the stock quantity by 1/4 cup.
If you cook this recipe on low heat, expect the vegetables to be mushier than with the high heat option. But either way, they will be much softer than if oven roasted.
If you’re using parsnips, small ones are sweeter than the older, stringy ones.
NOTE: If you have a nut allergy and are using packaged goods in recipes, please check the allergen warning on the packet regarding nuts.
You may find this article useful:
More delicious roast beef recipes:
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 18g
–Saturated fat 7g
Dietary fibre 8g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.