Red lentil, pumpkin and tomato soup
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 450g pumpkin, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 ½ cups liquid salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 3 ½ cups water
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 slices grainy sourdough bread
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup low-fat plain yoghurt
Log In or Sign Up to save this recipe to your shopping list.
1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, carrot, pumpkin, lentils, stock, water and tomatoes.
2 Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
3 Remove from heat and purée using a stick blender.
4 Meanwhile, toast bread and top with avocado slices. Sprinkle soup with parsley, swirl in yoghurt and serve with avocado toast.
- Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free and use gluten-free bread and yoghurt.
- Slow cooker variation: This recipe can also be cooked for 6–10 hours in a slow cooker on low.
Check out all our soup recipes here, or see below for our pumpkin soups:
Spiced pumpkin soup with sour cream and chives
Kumara pumpkin and chickpea soup
- To make the soup your preferred consistency, add more water. The soup thickens a little if made in advance.
- This dish freezes well for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Food Guide All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Sign up for the newsletter
Delicious recipes and expert health advice you can trust, delivered to your inbox.
One comment on Red lentil, pumpkin and tomato soup
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Sign up to receive the latest dietitian-approved recipes and expert advice!
More recipes you may like
RELATED ADVICE LATEST ADVICE
I added 2 extra carrots, 4 cups of vegetable stock and one cup of water.
Will definitely make this recipe again.