Red lentil, pumpkin and tomato soup
(at time of publication)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 450g pumpkin, peeled, chopped
- 1 cup dried red lentils, rinsed, drained
- 1 ½ cups liquid salt-reduced vegetable stock
- 3 ½ cups water
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 4 slices grainy sourdough bread
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ⅓ cup low-fat plain yoghurt
1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onion and cook for 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, carrot, pumpkin, lentils, stock, water and tomatoes.
2 Bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or until pumpkin is tender.
3 Remove from heat and purée using a stick blender.
4 Meanwhile, toast bread and top with avocado slices. Sprinkle soup with parsley, swirl in yoghurt and serve with avocado toast.
- Make it gluten free: Check stock is gluten free and use gluten-free bread and yoghurt.
- Slow cooker variation: This recipe can also be cooked for 6–10 hours in a slow cooker on low.
Check out all our soup recipes here, or see below for our pumpkin soups:
- To make the soup your preferred consistency, add more water. The soup thickens a little if made in advance.
- This dish freezes well for up to 1 month.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information