Smoky beef burgers with roasted tomatoes
- 8 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthways
- oil spray
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 400g extra-lean beef mince
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons smoky barbecue sauce
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 small wholegrain rolls, halved, toasted
- 2 cups rocketarugulaX
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place tomato halves on a baking tray, cut-side up. Spray lightly with oil and sprinkle with rosemary. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked and soft. Set aside to cool.
2 Meanwhile, place mince, garlic, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, breadcrumbs and egg in a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine. Shape mixture to form 4 patties.
3 Heat barbecue or grill to a medium-high heat. Spray patties with a light oil coating and cook each side for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.
4 Serve burgers on toasted rolls with roasted tomato and rocket.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 6g
Make it gluten free: Check BBQ sauce is gluten free. Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and bread rolls.
- At the end of step 1, place tomato in a plastic container and freeze. At the end of step 2, place patties between sheets of baking paper in a plastic container and freeze (or cooked patties can be frozen). To thaw, transfer tomato and patties to fridge overnight. Heat tomato in a small frying pan set over a medium heat.
- Freeze for up to one month.
Making the most of your freezer saves you time and money. Remember:
- Label and date food when you freeze it to know its life span.
- Keep food well wrapped to reduce freezer-burn risk.
- Discard items that display signs of freezer-burn, along with any UFOs (unidentified frozen objects!). They could be dangerous to your health.
- Freeze leftovers in single-serve portions to make them easier to thaw and reheat.
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us