Smoky beef burgers with roasted tomatoes
(at time of publication)
- 8 Roma tomatoes, halved lengthways
- oil spray
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 400g extra-lean beef mince
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons smoky barbecue sauce
- ½ cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 4 small wholegrain rolls, halved, toasted
- 2 cups rocketarugulaX
1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Place tomato halves on a baking tray, cut-side up. Spray lightly with oil and sprinkle with rosemary. Bake for 30 minutes or until cooked and soft. Set aside to cool.
2 Meanwhile, place mince, garlic, tomato paste, barbecue sauce, breadcrumbs and egg in a medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine. Shape mixture to form 4 patties.
3 Heat barbecue or grill to a medium-high heat. Spray patties with a light oil coating and cook each side for 4-5 minutes or until cooked through.
4 Serve burgers on toasted rolls with roasted tomato and rocket.
Make it gluten free: Check BBQ sauce is gluten free. Use gluten-free breadcrumbs and bread rolls.
- At the end of step 1, place tomato in a plastic container and freeze. At the end of step 2, place patties between sheets of baking paper in a plastic container and freeze (or cooked patties can be frozen). To thaw, transfer tomato and patties to fridge overnight. Heat tomato in a small frying pan set over a medium heat.
- Freeze for up to one month.
Making the most of your freezer saves you time and money. Remember:
- Label and date food when you freeze it to know its life span.
- Keep food well wrapped to reduce freezer-burn risk.
- Discard items that display signs of freezer-burn, along with any UFOs (unidentified frozen objects!). They could be dangerous to your health.
- Freeze leftovers in single-serve portions to make them easier to thaw and reheat.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 16g
–Saturated fat 5g
Dietary fibre 6g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us