Bunless Mexican burgers
(at time of publication)
- 500g kumarasweet-potatoX, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20g packet fajita or Mexican spice mix
- 1 small onion, grated and squeezed
- 400g lean beef mince
- 400g can red kidney beans in spring water, rinsed, drained and roughly mashed
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 225g can sliced beetrootbeetsX, drained
- 2 cups baby rocketarugulaX
- ⅓ cup tomato salsa, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 210°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- In a bowl, combine kumara, olive oil and 3 teaspoons of the spice mix. Stir to coat. Transfer to the baking tray and arrange in a single layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, tossing halfway through cooking, or until kumara is tender.
- Meanwhile, in the same bowl, place onion, mince, remaining spice mix, mashed kidney beans and garlic. Mix until thoroughly combined, using your hands if needed. Divide mixture into 4 portions and shape into 10cm patties.
- Spray a large non-stick frying pan with oil and set over a medium heat. Add the patties to the pan and reduce heat to low. Cook for 8-10 minutes, turning once, or until cooked through.
- Divide kumara wedges among 4 plates and top with burger patties, tomato slices and beetroot. Top with rocket and serve with a little tomato salsa on the side.
Make it gluten free: Check spice mix and salsa are gluten free.
Nutrition Info (per serve)
Total fat 10g
–Saturated fat 3g
Dietary fibre 11g
© Healthy Life media Limited. All rights reserved. Reproduction without written permission prohibited.
This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information
Get the latest recipes, health news, expert nutrition tips & more…
Your privacy is important to us